Thursday, May 30, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend - Strawberry Banana Pancakes/Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes

Lane:
Memorial Day weekend = a blessing.  I just have to first give a moment to Chuck and his fellow brothers and sisters in arms that they were on my mind all weekend - so thankful for what they sacrifice for my/our country.  

With that being said, what is the best way to your man's heart?? Through his belly!! 

 

 We made a trip to the farmers market where Chuck found a loaf of Zucchini bread that he almost finished while we walked around.  Haha!
Plenty of strawberries were purchased, hence my recipes!

 Starting off, I made strawberry banana pancakes that turned out delish:

 

Ingredients needed:

1 cup almond flour
1 cup brown rice flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon palm sugar

1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups milk (dairy or nondairy)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup mashed banana (2 large bananas)
1 cup chopped strawberries

The actual recipe I followed:
http://chefthisup.com/recipe/7738/strawberry-banana-pancakes/

The only things I substituted was the types of flour.

 

Next thing I made was very similar in ingredients.  The recipe that I modeled my cupcakes after is found: http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/strawberry-shortcake-cupcakes/


Ingredients I used:

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour

2 cups palm sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

6 large eggs

2 cups butter, softened

1/2 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 ctn whole strawberries

1 package cream cheese
1 container of marshmallow cream

Everything in my recipe was the same except for a couple ingredients.  Also, the icing was a blended mixture of one package of cream cheese mixed with the marshmallow creme -- easiest icing and SO tasty!  It was nice a thick in order to "glue" cut up strawberries on the top.  I didn't want to cut out and waste any of the cake portion.  



The topping is just cut up strawberries that I covered with a sprinkle of sugar for an hour or so.

 

SO yummy!

 

The rest of the weekend consisted of watching movies... BBQing... Spending time with our godsons.

 

For example, teaching them to flex!


If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at teamhalfie@gmail.com -- either about recipes or any of random questions!!  We are always welcome to helping!  Hope everyone enjoys their short week :)  Cheers!

Chuck:  I would like to send out a special thank you to all of you who read our blog that support US Troops, no matter which branch of service.  Some of us join without a choice of better life, some of us because it is our family heritage, and some of us do it because we feel the need within us to serve our country and protect our fellow American.  

I had the blessed opportunity to take a photo with a little boy while visiting Arlington Cemetery to lay flowers to a fallen, who thanked me for what I do.  That is the greatest gift you can give this Soldier.





No comments:

Post a Comment